Friday, July 26, 2013

Maternity Leave

I had just stepped in to work and my boss stopped at my desk.

"I received authorization for your leave."

I was in the middle of setting up my desk for the day and that stopped me completely, mid-password.

He explained that they were authorizing 6 weeks of short-term disability for me, paid. This was better than I expected. I expected any leave I got to be completely unpaid given the amount of time I have been at this job. 

He made sure to emphasize, numerous times, that if there were any complications or a doctor suggested more time then they would be flexible. This was such a huge relief to me. I obviously don't anticipate anything happening, but it is good to know that they are going to be understanding if, God forbid, something does.

Having this type of response also reaffirms to me that I'm doing a good job. If they didn't consider me valuable, my fate for leave could have looked much differently. I work with an amazing group of people, though. Everyone is so nice and it seems that they genuinely enjoy being around each other. Everyone works hard and is intelligent, intuitive, creative and very quick to think outside of the box. I'm happy.

Whenever people find out at work that we are pregnant, the response isn't hesitant or timid. Not one person has given any hint of concern about whether I will come back to work or not - because they already know I will. I'm greeted with joy and excitement! 

Everything is going to be okay. 

No comments:

Post a Comment