Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Doctor results

I'm currently home on the couch. Today was ridiculously long and I left work.

What was supposed to be a quick appointment turns into a 2-hour ordeal and blood work. After knowing how much pain I was in and the amount spotting I was having, they pretty much rushed me into the ultrasound room to check everything out. They took a ton of pictures at all angles. Before I even left the room, the tech thought she saw blood in my ovaries.

Hearing those words made me panic. She assured me that the doctor was going to go over my results and let me know what was really going on. Because this was an emergency appointment, I didn't see Dr. S, but someone else in the office. We'll call her Dr. V. She told me that she saw a few blood clots, called subchorionic hematomas, that were fairly large and surrounding the baby in the uterus. They are caused by bleeding in the uterus. Her biggest concern was that since I had bleeding when I first found I was pregnant, and again now, that I am at a risk for miscarriage (she explained there's only a 5% chance of it actually happening, but once you bleed/spot more than once that the chance increases). Because of this, they did an exam to check my cervix and see if I was dilated any (apparently, there is a slim chance of preterm labor as well - although, highly unlikely).

I wasn't dilated and it looked like my blood had stopped at least temporarily. Dr. V said that's a good sign. However, I am going back to see them in a week in order to double check the baby and the size of the clots. From this point forward, I'm going to be monitored pretty closely. Dr. V also stressed that if I have any bleeding from this point forward, no matter the color, I need to call and come in for an ultrasound and check on the baby (at least I get to see baby more often!!).

She also sent me for Rhogam. Rhogam is used when a mom has RH- blood and the baby is RH+. There is a chance of complications, especially during the delivery if the blood mixes together. It is more for the second baby more than the first, but the potential for it to cause problems is always there. They previously checked my antibodies for it and I will have to repeat this process around 25 weeks pregnant.

I was told that I should go home for the day, relax and not go to work. Since it was my breakfast day (my work has someone bring in breakfast once a week), I stopped in and dropped off my breakfast and told my boss that I was going home. He knew about my doctor's appointment already and when I walked in the door, he immediately said, "Go home. I can tell you're obviously in pain. Do what you need to do to take care of your baby and you." I felt so relieved that he was so awesome about it.

Now, it's just a waiting game until my next appointment to see that everything is going to be okay with the baby.

Not going to lie, I'm scared about what is going to happen next.

No comments:

Post a Comment