Saturday, July 20, 2013

Levels

Nurse Gary called me today to tell me that Dr. L has reviewed the results of my Lamotrigine levels. 

They came back low at 3.6. He said the number and my heart sank. I really didn't want to raise my dosage so early in the pregnancy. The goal was to hold out as long as possible to keep both the baby and me safe. He said he was going to discuss options with Dr. L.

The second I hung up with him, I called back. I remembered that I took this level much later than I usually do and had been fasting for more than 8 hours. I wasn't sure if this made a difference or not, but it was worth bringing up.

Nurse Gary said he wasn't sure either and it was worth Asking. When he called me back, he said that Dr. L was going to leave me on my current dosage (anything above 2.5 is therapeutic) and I would recheck my levels 4 weeks from now and make a decision about upping the meds. This would put me at 18 weeks pregnant (almost halfway through pregnancy) before having to up my meds.

This plan makes me feel much better. If I feel any different between now and 4 weeks from now, I'll call and let them know.

Here's to more progress and changes.




No comments:

Post a Comment