Friday, January 24, 2014

Baby Colin has arrived!

Warning, this is LONG!

Yesterday, via c-section, our baby boy Colin David was born!


Colin entered the world at 7 lbs 2.5 oz and 20 inches long (much smaller than we anticipated). He is incredibly alert when he's awake. I thought I would share my eventful birth story with you all:

On January 22, I woke up feeling wet and really uncomfortable. I sat on my exercise ball to relieve the pain. It was working temporarily. The second I stood up though, the pain came shooting back. We had snow the night before so Dave went out to snow blow the driveway out. After he got back, I hopped in the shower.

When I got out, my water broke - everywhere. I called the Ob nurse and they told me to head to the hospital. I had already started minor contractions when we got there. Little did I know how ugh worse they would get. ;) I didn't get the epidural until around 6cm and 70% effaced. In order to get me to there though, they had to use a foley bulb. It definitely did the trick though, along with the pitocin. 

However, for hours I stopped progressing. My Ob tried something called an amnio infusion. Basically, they put a little amniotic fluid back to give him room to move and figure a way out. They restarted the pitocin and the baby's heartbeat started to decelerate. The doctors didn't like that, so they told me they'd prefer I go in for a c-section.

The idea of a c-section really freaked me out. I couldn't move my legs at ALL and I hate that. However, it was literally over before I knew it. They told us he probably wouldn't cry because of the epidural and anethesia. Instead, he came into the world SCREAMING his little heart out.

He's sleeping pretty well and feeding like a champ. However, since he was a c-section, he is more mucousy. They said that'll subside though.

Although I'm disappointed I didn't get to try a vaginal delivery, it brought Dave and me the most amazing gift in the world - our son, Colin! :) 

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations! I've been following your blog for a while, and it's good to see a happy ending. I was diagnosed with epilepsy when I was five, and was always concerned about my ability to have a family. My husband and I would like to start trying soon. Your story gives me hope. Thanks for being brave enough to share your story!

    ReplyDelete