Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Coming Down

Current Dosages:

- Lamictal: 175 mg 2x/daily (full therapeutic dosage, total of 350mg per day)
- Carbamazepine: 300 mg XR 2x/daily (tapering process began, total of 600 mg XR per day, started at 800 mg XL)

I finally started the tapering down of the Carbamazepine today.

For the most part, I feel okay. I feel slightly nauseous and have a headache, but it's nothing out of the ordinary or scary. It also could be due to the fact that instead of Carbamazepine, I'm taking brand Tegretol for the first time in over 3 years. The 100 mg XRs don't come in generic so while I'm tapering off, I'm on the expensive stuff. Nurse Gary told me that while I was tapering off the Carbamazepine I could experience withdrawal symptoms and they may worsen for a week or so once I was completely tapered off and the medication was leaving my body for good.

Many people that read this blog are going to have to go through this process when they are starting thinking about children so while I'm tapering, I'll update once a week (plus my other blog posts) about how I'm feeling and anything I notice. It may give you guys a better understanding of what to expect once you make the change.

No comments:

Post a Comment