Friday, September 27, 2013

Levels came back

My Lamotrigine trough levels came back today. They came in at 3.4. Gary said that Dr. L was happy with that number and that she didn't see a reason to make any changes again to that dosage.

That's definitely a relief.

I also asked about the possibility of breastfeeding while taking my medication. It's a topic on my mind since we are going to our birthing class and that's a big topic that is discussed (the instructor actually emailed me about it since it said on my intro paper that we weren't planning to breastfeed because of my medication. We will discuss that discussion later though - possibly).

Dr. L said that even though the medication is secreted in breast milk, she believes that me breastfeeding will be alright. I even had her double check and she said she found an article in American Epilepsy Guidelines for pregnancy and breastfeeding that says that enough isn't secreted in breast milk for it to be dangerous to the baby.

The plan is, if I want to breastfeed, to keep my folic acid high while nursing. After nursing is over, I probably will be brought back down to 1mg. Or maybe not, depending on what they move my medication levels too after birth.

I don't think (well, I know) I wouldn't exclusively breastfeed. I would keep it to a couple feedings a day and the rest would be formula. It would be just enough to give baby boy the nutrients he needs for a few months before switching to solely formula and then introducing solids. 

I'm still unsure how I feel about this. We will talk about and decide before he gets here, but it is nice to know that it is an option for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment