Friday, September 6, 2013

Headaches

I've had migraines my entire life. 

They start out with flashing auras (always in my left eye) and minutes later, I have a blinding headache that distorts my vision and later that day I will have forgotten everything that happened during the time of the headache. I'm usually nauseous too.

Since we have upped my Lamotrigine ER, I've been having migraines pretty consistently. Just about once a week for the past 5 weeks. In fact, I had a horrible one on Wednesday. The day is completely lost and disjointed to me. I started to get auras today and immediately called my neurologist's office. 

They said they think they raised my medication too quickly, so they are reducing it by 50mg to try and take the edge off. The nurse said that the doctor thinks the memory loss is from my consistent change in hormones due to pregnancy. I told them that this happens with non-pregnancy migraines too, just not as bad. They assured me this is normal for complex migraines and the hormones from pregnancy is just amplifying everything.

Complex migraines frequently are associated with people who suffer from complex seizures (me). The triggers for each are in a similar part of the brain. 

It feels good to know there is an explanation and that something bigger isn't going on. I'm in great hands with this office. The care that I've received with this hospital network hasn't been anything less than awesome.

Side note: Baby boy must know something's up because he has been kicking me pretty much 12 times every 3 minutes since around 9am. We have an active one on our hands. :) I'm going with that he knows we are going to the Penn State game tomorrow, haha

No comments:

Post a Comment