Thursday, February 7, 2013

Lamictal Extended-release

Yesterday was probably one of the worst days I've had. In the morning, I woke up, took my Reglan, had my coffee, took a shower, took my Lamictal and started to dry my hair. Within 3 minutes of starting to dry my hair, I burped and threw up (gross, I know) in the sink. I moved over to the toilet and dry-heaved for another few minutes before I was able to compose myself and rinse/disinfect the sink.

The only thing I did differently yesterday was that I didn't eat a snack before taking my Lamictal.

However, to me, this was the straw that broke the camel's back. I can't keep living in fear every day that I might feel sick or throw up, again. Last night, we went out with friends after going to the Sixers game (Dave's cousin is an intern and got us seats!) and I was feeling miserable the entire time. It is now completely interfering with my life.

My honest opinion is that since I was on Carbamazepine ER (extended-release) for 20 years that my body isn't used to getting this much medication at once and raising the dosage only exacerbated the situation.

Lamictal does have an extended-release, however, the generic version hasn't been released yet. The FDA only approved the patent for it in early-January 2013. The article says that they are beginning to work on the launch immediately, however, in my experience, they try to hold on to the patent as long as possible. Sometimes, over 10 years. I've put Google Alert up for me that if any news is released about it, I'll be the first to see it - and of course, update it here.

I'm going to be calling Dr. L's office and asking about the possibility of switching to the XR. I know that until the generic is released it will be very expensive, but if my body responds better to it and makes life more bearable while allowing us to safely try for a baby, then I'll take it.

I'll let you know what they say.

1 comment:

  1. most insurances will cover things like that with a physicians medical nessesity certification pretty much your Doctor written that this medicine in this way, this dose ect... if needed by you to survive day to day and no other medicines can be taken blah blah blah blah!

    Jennie Bell again!

    ReplyDelete