Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Stopping the Pill

Yesterday was my last day of hormonal pills in my birth control. I threw away the rest of the pack since only sugar pills were left. When you are stopping birth control, they (meaning the medical industry) suggest that a patient finishes all hormonal pills before stopping because otherwise you can throw off your natural cycle. However, this really only applies assuming that the woman is going to be instantly regular after coming off the pill. Some women go back to getting a normal monthly period immediately, but for the majority of women, it can take up to a year for cycles to regulate.

I also called Dr. S.'s office to let him know that we are stopping birth control and going to be actively trying once Aunt Flo (AF) comes and goes. I explained that my medication switch was over and I was responding fine, I am taking 3.8mgs of folic acid daily including a prenatal with DHA and that Dr. L. had given us the go-ahead to start trying. The nurse I spoke to read me off a list of instructions that be had in my file whenever we were ready.

He wants me to chart my basal body temperature (like I had talked about before), but wants me to send it to him monthly instead of bringing it to my appointments. He said that if he doesn't see a pattern emerging or that I'm not ovulating on my own in 6 months, then we will discuss options of how to move forward. Also, if I have a cycle more than 45 days or am in AF for 14 days or more to call him. A drug called Provera can be used to induce periods and I'm assuming I'd go back on bcp for a month to "reset" my cycle if bleeding wasn't stopping.

It is a lot if information to take in when we haven't even started yet. Now, we just wait for CD1...

No comments:

Post a Comment