Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Ob appt and second birthing class

I had my routine 24-week Ob appointment today. 

They were just doing a regular check up to monitor my blood pressure, weight, listen to the baby's heart beat and measure my fundal height (number of centimeters from top of belly to pelvic bone should correlate to the number of weeks pregnant). 

Baby's heart beat is between 148-152 (he was moving a lot so they couldn't get an exact beat) and my fundal height was 24.5, so I'm right on track. My blood pressure was 126/70, which is fantastic. It had been a little high before but I think that's because they always took it the second I got into the appointment and was racing.

My next appointment isn't until November 4 and we will have an ultrasound to check on the development of the baby.

We had our second birthing class too. We went over relaxation methods during labor and car seat safety. I have to say, Dave and I aren't really happy with this class. The instructor is pushy and insane.

After the first class, she felt the need to email me after she saw on our intro class sheet that I wasn't planning on breastfeeding because of my medication. She went on to tell me that I really should do more research because we were going to talk about it in the class and she "didn't want me to feel bad about it." Why would I feel bad about doing what I think was best for my child?

Last night, she asked the dads what they were going to say during labor to calm us down. Dave said a lot of good words of encouragement and one was, "It's almost over (meaning the contraction)." She SNAPPED at him telling him that he should never say that because he doesn't know that. Contractions on average only last 90 seconds, so yeah, he'd know that it was almost over. Plus, he's my husband. He knows what I need to hear in order to get through it. He is an amazing support system.

So help me, if she does something next week, I'm more than likely giving her "feedback" on how I think the class is going. And it won't be pretty.

No comments:

Post a Comment