Saturday, October 26, 2013

Glucose Testing

Good lord, I was nervous about this test. When you are in between 27-29 weeks pregnant, doctors test you for Gestational Diabetes. Gestational Diabetes can cause serious problems in pregnancy and after-birth, although for most women it is controlled by diet and exercise. A percentage of women who get Gestational Diabetes develop Type 2 Doabetes after-birth or later in life.

I have a family history of Type 2 Diabetes and a major sweet tooth, so needless to say, I was freaking out.

The test is done by making you fast an hour before going in and then drinking this horrible, disgusting syrupy Tang-flavored drink that has a salty aftertaste. It's so gross. Then, they make you hang out for an hour before taking your blood. For my doctor's office, you need 135 (units of glucose per milliliter of blood) or lower to "pass" the test and not be considered for Gestational Diabetes. However, if you "fail," you need to take a 3-hour test. 

I got a 97! I am so glad that I passed and don't have to do the 3-hour test. I'm also glad that it's one less thing I have to worry about and that I am healthy and so is this amazingly active baby boy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment