Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Learning

"Look not mournfully into the past, it comes not back again. Wisely improve the present, it is thine. Go forth to meet the shadowy future without fear and with a manly heart." - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow




I know I said I was going to post yesterday, but I needed time to decompress.

Dave and I met with Dr. L. yesterday to get a more in-depth understanding of what my condition really looked like.

She explained that there when a baby is in a mother's womb all of the synapses for the brain are located near the brain stem. After the baby is born, the synapses move to their permanent location of the edge of the brain. It is why the outside of our brains are bumpy. There is a small section of my brain where this didn't occur. This is why I have seizures. The true and definite reason why. She said that the is the reason for my slower fine motor skills and bad vision (I could have told her that).

Dr. L. told us that I am lucky that this happened when I was very young. My brain was able to re-route so I was able to learn and be self-sufficient. It is different from being a 70 years old and having a stroke and not being able to re-learn old habits and simplicities.

This opened my eyes to show me that I truly am one of the lucky ones.


There was other news that she told us, but I don't know if I'm ready to share it just yet.


No comments:

Post a Comment