Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Answers

My husband and I moved back to Pennsylvania two years ago and knew that we were quickly approaching the time when we would begin seriously thinking about children. In order to prepare, I made appointments with a new OB/Gyn and GP (both of whom I now absolutely love). We were living with my in-laws and saving for a house, at the time. Once we purchased our first home together, I began searching for a new neurologist.

I always knew that having children would have a few hurdles for us since I was on anti-epileptic medications. I had scared myself stiff by researching the side effects that Carbamazepine can have on pregnancy. Words like spina bifida, cleft palate, and cerebral palsy swirled in the back of my mind as we thought about our future family. I wanted to do everything I possibly could to make sure that our family would be safe. The Antiepileptic Drug Pregnancy Registry comes out every year with new case studies of the percentage of malformations are made from taking certain drugs. The Spring 2012 list currently looks like this:



I found a great doctor (Dr. L) who is excited for us and decided to be incredibly assertive in her treatments. She ordered an EEG and MRI to get the most updated information on my conditions. She is switching me from 800mgs of Carbamazepine to 350mgs of Lamictal, which she referred to as "the safest drug for women who want to get pregnant." I will also be taking 3mg of folic acid and a calcium supplement. Dr. L. seems extremely positive.

She called me last night to give me the results of the EEG and MRI:

EEG: Normal. She said that she saw no "seizure activity, period." That's never happened before to me. I was ecstatic to hear this information. Dr. L. said that she didn't even see background noise during test.

MRI: Diagnosis: Congenital abnormality. That sounds way worse than it actually is. Basically, it means I was born with this. It's a condition that may or may not cause seizures. In my case, it caused seizures when I was little, but my doctors acted quickly and got me on the correct dosage to keep me safe. It's nobody's fault. For years, I believed that my seizures were caused by a lesion that was formed on my occipital lobe due to a car accident while I was in utero. That isn't the case. In fact, it's quite the opposite. Ten of every 1000 births can result in a congenital abnormality. It isn't genetic and can just happen. This is what caused my seizures. Finally, answers. Dr. L. said as long as I'm on a low-dose of anti-epileptic medication, I should never have a problem, again. Here's to great news!

This makes me feel amazing. It lets me know that these are just the cards that God dealt me and that it was my fate. God never gives a person more than they can handle. This is just the journey that I was meant to take. This was meant to make me stronger.

....And it has.

No comments:

Post a Comment